Library News | Junior School

Library News | Junior School

Book Reviews

Jeremy recommends A Series of Unfortunate Events; The Bad Beginning. “This book was good because it was very interesting. I give it three stars because it was very interesting but it was also very sad as well. I think if you are 11 or 10 years old you would like it. It was still a good book for me in second grade as it sometimes gave the meaning of the word that I did not understand.”

Zac recommends the Zac Power series. He read four of the books over the last week. “I give these books 4 stars out of 5 as they were good, but there were some parts that were odd. These books are good for second grade and third grade if they like the content.”

“I liked this book as it was very interesting. I also liked that in the story they would say what was going to be in the shop the following week. I rate it 5 stars. Every single time I finished off reading it and had to do something, I always wanted to read some more of it. If someone was to read this book it would be someone in Year 2 or Year 3 or even Year 4.” Cooper

Learning in the Library

Kindergarten has just finished reading Aaron Becker’s picture book trilogy Journey, Quest and Return for their UOI about Journeys Are Made for Different Reasons. These are wordless books that require visual literacy skills to understand the journey the young boy and girl go on throughout the three books.

Year One continues to look at how people express themselves in the Arts. This week we read the book Little Frida by Anthony Browne. This book was an interesting insight into the life of the famous artist Frida Kahlo’s life as a young child. We then looked at some information about her life as she grew and how she became an artist.

Year Two is inquiring about methods of understanding and preserving our history in their Unit of Inquiry. This week we looked at the role of libraries in this process. We were able to read Books, Books, Books by Mick Manning and Brita Granstrom about what can be found in the British Library. We also looked closer to home at the Australian National Library in Canberra and what they are preserving about our history in their collections.

Year Three is learning about how Children worldwide encounter a range of challenges, risks and opportunities. Over the next two weeks we will look at the role that the bicycle has played in helping children to overcome adversatives. The books Emmanuel’s Dream by Laurie Ann Thompson and The Bicycle by Colin Thompson will be a helpful way to demonstrate this idea.

Nikki Bowden | Teaching and Learning Librarian