Fulbright scholar to study dementia 

Fulbright scholar to study dementia 

Year 10 careers survey kick-starts medical career 

Bill Zhu (’19), who has won a prestigious Fulbright scholarship to study dementia in the US, recalls his journey into neuroscience starting with a careers questionnaire at Trinity in Year 10. 

“I remember distinctly the survey telling me that medicine was one of the top ten career pathways for me,” he said as he “pinched myself” after the announcement in Canberra. 

“It was one piece of evidence that convinced me to pursue this path. 

“I highly credit Trinity’s learning environment as one of the big influential factors in my passion to pursue medical science.” 

The UNSW graduate with honours and specialisation in neuroscience has received a fully-funded five-year scholarship, studying at Harvard in Boston, UCLA in Los Angeles or the Albert Einstein Medical College in New York City. 

The scholarship will enable him to research the molecular neurobiology underpinning cognitive dysfunction and symptom progression in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. 

“Alzheimer’s disease is the single most prevalent neurodegenerative disease in the world today, and it still lacks an effective clinical intervention,” he said. 

“My Fulbright research aims to unearth the basic underlying mechanisms behind cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s disease patients, establishing the targets for future molecular therapies.” 

“I am overjoyed. More than just supporting students and professionals in higher research, the Fulbright program is an opportunity to take my research in neurodegeneration beyond the horizon. 

“I get to undertake research at America’s foremost institutions and come home with the knowledge and capacity to pioneer work in Australia.” 

For 75 years the Fulbright Programme has funded around 6,000 Australian and American students. Only a small number of multi-year scholarships have been awarded in that time. 

The former prefect and Latham House Vice Captain told Trinity News his interest in Alzheimer’s Disease had “blossomed into a gradual obsession as I learned more and more”. 

He has no personal family connection with the disease but said he had listened to many people talking through their journey as carers, and he found their stories “deeply moving”. 

This article originally appeared in our June 2024 Edition of Trinity News
which you can view on our online digital bookshelf.
https://fliphtml5.com/bookcase/jxxtk